Saturday, November 1, 2014

Our First Three Months

Today, as I sit next to the window enjoying the first real rain of the season, I think about the last three months we've lived in San Luis and how wonderful it's been. Our first days were warm, but much cooler than Bakersfield. The following weeks were fun. Filled with hiking, driving, exploring, relaxing, and lots of other stuff. At the end of the first month, I sprained my ankle pretty severely. By the end of the second month, I could walk almost normally and we were both starting to work more consistently. And by the end of this third month, October, Erinn found a permanent job and I've been working as a sub.

Cerro Cabrillo - Just a few minutes before tumbling down the mountain

Hollister Peak in the back
Black Hill and Morro Rock behind Erinn
Cerro Cabrillo is where I twisted my ankle. We hiked to the top of the 911' peak with no problem. Just lots of pausing to catch my breath. It was the hike down that was difficult. I was winding my way down a pretty steep path when my feet slipped on some loose dirt and my right foot caught a rock, twisting it hard enough to make a pop. My ankle hurt too bad to walk, but we were still very close to the top, so there wasn't really any other option. We scooted down the hill on our butts and Erinn helped me limp the mile or so back to the car.

View from the top. Los Osos to your left. Morro Bay to your right.














Despite the injury, it's been a pretty busy few months. At the beginning of October, we got to visit San Diego for a friend's wedding. It was an amazing night watching these two wonderful people exchange vows on the waterfront with the San Diego skyline in the background surrounded by friends. They had a seriously beautiful wedding.



Recently, we've been enjoying our afternoons by reading on the beach. It's an entirely different experience to visit the beach when it's only a 15-minute drive. In the past, we'd have to drive a few hours to get here. Often, we'd be rushing ourselves to make our trip count. A couple days ago, we worked during the day, then took the short drive from San Luis to Morro Bay and listened to the waves while reading.

Today, I'm enjoying the cool, clean air of a rainy day on the coast. San Luis Obispo is such a beautiful place. We love exploring this wonderful area and all its natural beauty. If only it would rain more often!